Sunday, July 24, 2011

South Dakota: Part 2 - Air and Space Museum?

After a not so good nights sleep, we got up, had some breakfast which consisted of some pancakes, bacon, and dry fried hash browns since I forgot the oil. It as less than ideal. Then we made our way out of the Black Hills and out to what was called the South Dakota Air and Space Museum. It had high ratings on tripadvisor.com so we thought we should check it out.

 This was a shot on our way into Custer, SD from our cabin.

This is Bedrock City. Yes, like the Flintstones. We found that South Dakota was big on fictional characters. Including one particularly famous fictional character which had billboards up and down highway 90. I'll let you guess about what world renowned literary character this would be.


 On our way to the "Air and Space Museum" we drove by the Crazy Horse Memorial.


I think Gregg was enjoying driving the atrocity that was the GMC Yukon XL. I felt really odd driving it though...

 Here's Hill City SD. As you can see the place is very tourist oriented. That was one of the major downfalls of the area. That and all the bikers. Oh, and the great popularity of cut off jean shorts on men.  And mullet hair styles.  And the amount of bugs. I've never seen so many bugs in one place in all my life.
 This is located to the East of Rapid City, SD at Ellsworth AFB.

Sadly we got into the "museum" and were greatly let down. We have been to many Air and Space Museums across the country and this was BY FAR the worst one on that list. Even the Strategic Air and Space Museum located in Ashland NE (on the way to Lincoln NE from Omaha NE) was better, and it's got nothing on the Air and Space Museum in DC. This picture above was how the whole place was.  We walked around anyway...

Then the girls posed with the mannequins. 

On the way out Gregg asked a lady at a desk about a missile silo that he had wanted to tour and was greeted by an extremely rude woman, mind you she was in the middle of a conversation with a co-worker, maybe that had something to do with her attitude.

Either way, she apparently had no idea how to answer a question or greet a person. 

Literally this is how the conversation went:

Gregg: Hi. I was wondering if you knew anything about the missile silo that is around here.
Rude Woman: Hi! (insert fake smile here) I'm your tour guide! (yes this is all she said)
Gregg:  I'm wondering how I sign up for the tour and when it takes place.
Rude Woman: Hi! (insert bitchiest voice here) I'm your tour guide! (again, all she said)

It was at this point that I had to leave the building or I was going to try to kill her. There was no way I was going to listen to that idiot for any amount of time.

Why is it that people can't just do their job and shut up?

 Yup, it's a plane.

And we made out way back out to that GMC behemoth to head up to Deadwood, SD. The girls used the phrase, "Hi! I'm your tour guide!" off and on for the rest of our trip. And the disgust would rage inside me once again at just the utterance of those 5 words. Some people! Luckily the day got better.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a very educational and interesting trip. How did you get by with letting Payton bring a friend and not Austin? I agree- that woman sounds VERY rude- and WEIRD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Austin has trouble making friends due to his stealing constantly. I would feel bad for him, but it's completely his choice.

    ReplyDelete