Saturday, July 23, 2011

South Dakota: Part 1 - The Cabin


Monday the 18th of July we took a
little trip to South Dakota. It was kind of a last minute thing, what with Gregg's odd working hours and all, we couldn't do much planning early.  Most of the cabins we found had already been rented, but after hours and hours of searching, we found Black Hills Rentalsoutside of Custer, SD, which is roughly an hour outside of Rapid City.                                               

We also rented an enormous vehicle so that everyone would be more comfortable which worked out nicely on this trip.  Photos of the beast will follow in later posts.




We had the two adjoining units on the ground floor of this cabin. The owners of the property lived upstairs.  Anyone who knows me knows that I don't deal with being uncomfortable when it comes to travel. This is about the most back woods I'll get. There was well water, no cell phone service, no Internet, and no cable. But it was new and clean & that's what mattered. However, cell service would have been extremely handy.


Gregg had worked the night before we left, so we didn't arrive in South Dakota until really late, but everyone was more than thrilled with the condition of the cabin and the surrounding area. It was out in the middle of nowhere and SO quiet. The wind blowing through the trees was the only sound you could hear, and it sounded like a stream nearby.  Just lovely.

Most of the photos of the outside of the cabin I took from the rental website because somehow I forgot to take pictures myself. I did, however, get some of the inside. Unfortunately my wide angle lens had gotten switched from auto focus to manual and I didn't realize it until we were in the Badlands on our way home.  Ooops!

Payton was allowed to bring a friend on our trip, so she and Bailey had their own little area, they thought it was like rooming together in an apartment.

This is their room. Note "Rib Eye" (the stuffed cow) on the couch. Payton loves that thing. I just love the name.

 Here the girls are trying out the bathrooms for pictures.  Such funny girls.

 Here's another shot of the girls room. It's named "Lefty".

Here is our room, named "Pancho's".  Austin slept with us in our room. 

Another bathroom.  And this is the smallest shower EVER.

Another angle of our room.  Pancho's and Lefty's... how funny.

Don't mind robot boy (aka Austin), he was dead tired. He's just waiting to go to bed.  We arrived after 10 pm local time. It's was a long drive.

 We planned on cooking breakfast there in the cabin each morning, hence the griddle.


After taking a few shots of the place, I cornered the girls and they started being silly...

Austin was reluctant to get his picture taken as usual.  He doesn't like the flash.

I'm not sure what is going on in this photo, I think Payton's going gangster and Bailey is trying to be sexy.  I think they both failed in their attempt.

Here you can see the remainder of Payton's henna tattoo on her hand from the Friday before.
Here the girls are being cheeky.  They were good girls on the trip. We stayed for 3 nights and 4 days. I have plenty of pictures to share but this will have to do for today. 

Coming up:  Crazy Horse Memorial, South Dakota Air and Space Museum, Mount Rushmore, Deadwood, 1880's Train, Custer State Park, Badlands National Park, Pioneer Auto Show, Hot Springs Mammoth Site, and Grave sites of Wild Bill and Calamity Jane.

No comments:

Post a Comment