After checking into our hotel on the evening of Saturday, June 19 2010, we decided to drive the Gap of Dunloe.
Wednesday, July 21, 2010
Day 3: The Gap of Dunloe
Can you believe after all of these Ireland posts, I'm only finishing up Day 3? 4 days left to go! We sure did do a lot while on the emerald isle.
After checking into our hotel on the evening of Saturday, June 19 2010, we decided to drive the Gap of Dunloe.
The Gap of Dunloe is a long, winding road that passes through mountains and wetlands 6 1/2 miles west of Killarney. This photo was taken where we turned off of the main road onto this tiny one lane road, at the start of the Gap of Dunloe.
The route through the gap passes craggy hills, meandering streams, and deep gullies, and it ends in the park at upper lake. Right after getting onto the tiny road we came upon this old stone house. I got out to take a photo of it and...
Gregg walked away, there was just SO much to see.
The Gap of Dunloe wasn't even on our places to visit while in Ireland list I had made. Somehow the description in our guide book failed to make me want to visit there.
The guy at our hotel that evening had brought up the idea and I am SO GLAD we went for it. It was getting late that evening, so the photos are somewhat dark, but after all was said and done, the Gap of Dunloe was in my top 5 places in Ireland we visited.
See how strong I am.
Gregg had to work harder to lift that boulder.
Standing on the rental car was a reoccurring theme with Gregg. Later I will post all of the car standing photos together.
You wouldn't believe how fast Gregg was driving this tiny road. This was no one way either, there were other cars coming at us now and then. It was very interesting. I know Gregg enjoyed himself very much pushing this little car to the limit. I got a few videos of him driving, but I won't post them because the audio is just wind and I fear they might make someone vomit from motion sickness.

This is the life!
The Gap of Dunloe makes it's way by Lord Brandon's Cottage. While taking this photo here, we think we saw him pull onto this bridge that leads to his house.
Gregg got out on the way back to look around - LMAO. This was also a reoccurring theme in Ireland.
And he got a picture of me in the car in retaliation. Yeah, that's the same.
After checking into our hotel on the evening of Saturday, June 19 2010, we decided to drive the Gap of Dunloe.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


More GREAT pictures. Beautiful!! I like the ones with the boulder :)
ReplyDelete