Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Independence Day 2009

I thought I'd share a few of our 4th photos with everyone. Since it was our last here I took a few pics. We skipped the fireworks at our house this year and just made our way to Mt. Trashmore instead.

I grabbed this photo from the Internet. This is what the side of Mt. Trashmore looks like from the interstate. The whole idea of making a park out of a landfill (actually the trash is mounded up rather than dug into the ground) is one of the strangest things I have ever heard of to this day. People come here often, not so much us, but other people, for fishing (there is a lake behind it) and kite flying. When they outlawed sledding down the hill in the winter it lost it's only allure to me, apparently I'm drawn to dangerous activities only.
It is such a popular idea around here, there is a Mount Trashmore II in the works already.

Here's our little setup. We got there early so we'd have a good spot. Within an hour of this photo being taken, there was only standing room around us, it was insane. Mt. Trashmore is in the center of the city, backing up to a residential area. We parked in this residential area, hoping that it wouldn't be as crazy as on the other side of the lake (behind Mt. Trashmore). We were wrong.

Here's the side of Mt. Trashmore. This was also taken at least an hour prior to the show starting.

I thought this photo was kind of eerie. I had to set my camera to capture the fireworks, and while playing with it, waiting for the show to start, I got a few interesting pictures, this being one of them.



I hope everyone had a really nice Fourth of July.

4 comments:

  1. I'm very impressed with your pictures of the fireworks. Those turned out amazingly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEAUTIFUL pictures!! I'm going to have to google Mt. Trashmore....I never realized there was such a place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are certainly some unique places in your part of the country. I, too, am impressed by the fireworks pictures. My were weak - I'm sure it has something to do with the photography skills, or rather my lack of them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pics! Glad you had a good fourth of July! The Redhawks ballgame was rained out....but the fireworks afterwards were great in OKC.

    ReplyDelete