It was a usual weekday evening. I had just dropped Payton off at Gymnastics and I was driving down the road to pick up a few odds and ends for dinner that night. I had a green light and was going straight but saw some people in a van that looked anxious to be turning left and they did, in fact, pull out in front of me. I swerved trying not to hit them, but apparently the collision couldn't be avoided on my part and I slammed into their back end, took out the front of my car, crossed the median, plowed over a street sign and came to a halt in the turning lane on the other side of the road.
I loved this car. I hadn't had it for all that long, it was paid off and was sporty as hell. Anyway, I was a little shaken up, but unhurt. My car on the other hand, was beaten pretty badly. I got out and went to check on the other folks in the minivan. And this is what I found...
A ditched van with no people anywhere. I knew there were at least two people in it when the crash happened. If you've ever been in a car wreck, you know what I mean when I say that the whole thing happens in slow motion. I can tell you the song that was playing, what I was wearing that day, and the expression that was on their faces as they darted out in front of me.Anyway, apparently the occupants were two teenagers that had stolen their parents car, taken it out for a joy ride, and collided with me in the process. They ditched the van and ran off on foot. The police did find them (in a manner of minutes) and charged them with felony hit and run. Though the state didn't uphold the charges because there was "no bodily injury." I personally think the charges should have stuck because apparently this kid was in so much trouble that the police knew them by name (why they were captured so quickly) when they saw the vehicle registration. Sometimes kids just need to learn a lesson by whatever means necessary.
The parents weren't any better people either, they didn't want to take responsibility for their kids actions and gave me the run around on insurance information. Then gave false statements to the insurance companies, which they saw right through after reading the police reports. Nothing says that you're not at fault like fleeing the scene of a crime on foot.
Anyway, keep your cell phone cameras handy, they sure can be convenient!
Beautiful car!! I'm glad you weren't hurt.
ReplyDeleteI never think to use the camera on my phone. I don' think I ever have, and I know there have been times I've had it and thought "I wish I had my camera". Maybe this will help me remember. Sorry about the great car...
ReplyDeleteIf I did remember to take pictures with my phone, I would have to, first-remember they were on the phone and second - have some major help getting them off the phone! I was involved in a wreck about 20 years ago and I can still remember it very vividly, funny how those things work.
ReplyDeleteI want to see your "Favorite Things" post. I'm curious now, what would be on it..
ReplyDelete