Saturday, January 17, 2009

Virginia Symphony Orchestra

This afternoon, Payton had a chance to play at a local mall with the Virginia Symphony Orchestra. The children hadn't had a chance to see the sheet music, but they had fun anyway. I think it was a very good experience for them all.

Here are a few photos:

Here's my little Maestro, waiting to play, patiently.

Luckily, Payton had a friend there with her.

Gregg and Austin just hung out and "people watched" while we waited.

Payton got quite bored waiting to play, as you can see.

This is the widest shot I could get, but this is only about half of the Orchestra.

This is the look of, "Oh crap, Beethoven's 5th, I've never played this!"

Payton looks like she knows what she's doing, but she was crazy lost. The students only knew about 8 notes and had never played this piece. The black kid in the background was amazing, he could play as well as the Orchestra members but was only in the 9th grade.

Here are Payton and Megan posing for the camera.

These videos were taken with our cell phones, so the quality isn't the best, but better than nothing.

~~On a side note, Austin went on medication (celeXA) for his OCD and anxiety issues and today we started noticing some real progress. He was less robot like and wasn't crying or anxious about anything. I have high hopes after the progress shown today. Gregg and I are just blown away at what a different (and more friendly, less anxious) child he seems to be.

4 comments:

  1. I love her face in the picture after she looked at the music. Sounds like Austin is doing great...that is so good to hear!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is AWESOME!! What a great opportunity to play with a professional orchestra!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great opportunity for Payton - I hope she gets to keep it up when you move. That is also good news about Austin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You all always get to do and see such neat things! Glad to hear the good update on Austin.

    ReplyDelete