Yesterday evening we all went to Salem Middle Schools open house for prospective students. I was just amazed at how large this middle school is. I would say it was easily larger than WHS. This current year there are 1160 students enrolled at SMS (6th - 8th grades).Last night we listened to the course overview and heard about some electives that we could choose from, then we took a tour of the school. Payton was very excited (mostly about having a locker) but I couldn't help but be saddened by the entire thing.
Throughout the evening, the staff couldn't stop talking about college credit hours and foreign languages. What 10 year old needs to know Russian, Latin, or Japanese? And why would a child be interested in learning how to figure compound interest or about the stock market? I even heard one lady there talking about how these students should be complete with their HS credits needed to graduate by their Sophomore year and could start on college credits then.
Why can't we just slow things down? I'm so tired of the hurry up concept and being told to always focus on the future. I guess I'm more of a live in the moment type of person. But why does a middle school need it's walls covered by college posters? Can't kids just be kids anymore? I understand that there are a lot of opportunities at such a school but I for one do not feel that these opened doors are in the best interest of my child here and now.
If I weren't ready for a move before last night, I certainly am now! I can't wait to slow down and smell the roses. Hopefully we'll get verbal orders to Nebraska in less than a month. Until then I am going to keep our options open and start an application to the local Magnet School.
WOW! I agree completely!! Our children are pushed and pushed, it would be really nice to just let them be little and enjoy their childhood!
ReplyDeleteI agee! It seems like we don't give them much time to be kids anymore and that is very, very sad.
ReplyDelete