Thursday, July 8, 2010
The Rock of Cashel
After visiting Kilkenny Castle, Gregg and I made our way to The Rock of Cashel, in County Tipperary. This old Abbey is at the top of a huge hill that you can see for miles away.
Gregg and I before entering.
Front entrance.
Remaining on the rock are the ruins of a two-towered chapel, a cruciform cathedral, a 92 ft. round tower, and a cluster of other medieval monuments.
Inside the cathedral, ancient carvings survive in excellent condition.
The Rock tells the tales of 16 centuries. It was the castled seat of the kings of Munster at least as far back as 360 CE, and it remained a royal fortress until 1101, when King Murtagh O'Brien granted it to the church. Among Cashel's many great moments was the legendary baptism of King Aengus by St. Patrick in 448.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Love all the old castles...it's amazing they've been around for so long! And the sheep grazing--I could've watched that for hours. Very cool. Oh, and the 15 year part isn't too shabby, either. ;-)
ReplyDelete