Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Guinness Brewery - St. James Gate

Our first afternoon in Dublin, after the whole lost car thing, we toured the Guinness Storehouse. Founded in 1759, the Guinness Brewery is one of the world's most famous breweries. It so happens that they produce my favorite beer, Guinness draught, a distinctive dark stout. Here are a few photographs from that tour...

Here's Gregg before we entered the brewery.

A wall from inside the storehouse. "The word beer is thought to originate from the Anglo-Saxon word BAERE meaning barley."

This is a huge waterfall that was inside the building, they claim that it's the Irish water that makes Guinness so distinct.

On one of the levels they gave out tastings. Here's Gregg and I having ours...

Gregg fancied this little Guinness train. What a silly picture.

This is the map of the building. The inside is shaped like a pint glass. My "incredible intestinal discomfort" had not quite passed completely, so I was lucky to get to visit every single bathroom in this building. And mind you there is one on each of the 8 floors, some of which I visited more than once. Ah, I just love international travel.
They had a huge display of the history of Guinness bottles, here are just a few.

Here's a view of a truck being filled with the delicious brew...

and also a view of Western Dublin.

These were taken from the "Gravity Bar" at the top of the museum. It is 197 ft above ground with a 360° view of the city. Where you trade in part of your ticket for a pint of Guinness.

More Dublin.

There was a family there that were on our plane from Omaha to Chicago and from Chicago to Dublin that we ran into at the brewery, the man chatted us up for a bit and was nice enough to take our photo.

Before leaving, we visited the gift shop. And can you believe it, we didn't purchase one single thing. Amazing.

We did stop off on the way out to take our pictures again with the giant gates.

I wonder if I am crossing my legs because I have to "go" again or if it's just a coincidence? HAHA
smallhotpinkheartsignature

1 comment: