Saturday we all took a short trip up to
Ft. Monroe. It's just through the tunnel to the peninsula, not a long trip, but some place we'd never explored really. We had a good time & saw some really neat things, I'm glad I took my camera.
Here are a few photos from that day.

This is an aerial shot of Ft. Monroe I swiped off the Internet, don't tell anyone. I wanted to show the interesting format of the inner island area. It is surrounded by a stone wall (that has tunnels inside, where the museum is now located). Apparently this stone barrier wall is the largest stone structure in the United States.

This is a photo of the image on my cars navigation. I'm not sure if it shows the shape any better. It is six sided and surrounded completely by a moat. Currently they are considering closing this base down and leveling it. There is talk, however, of making it a national historical site. I would personally hate to see all of this history lost. I'm going to miss all of the interesting historical places on this side of the continent. I'm sure Nebraska will have it's own charms though.

This is a closer up section of that same stone wall on the upper left corner of the screen. It is so odd that the grass is all dead there. It is the only place in the area I have seen grass go that color like it does in Oklahoma. Most of the grass in this part of the country is green all year around.

This is just one of the many grand houses there on the base for military personnel.

This is one of the guns that were mounted on the outside of the island area. We had to climb up on one of the battery areas to check this out.

Just a random boat moving through the ocean.

Here is Gregg taking in the beautiful weather Saturday.

This photo is of the outside of the island area looking into the gun holes in the large wall. I liked the effect the water gave to this picture.

A random bird enjoying the weather also. Gregg thought it was funny how nice this photo turned out, since the whole ledge is covered by bird crap.

This is just a lighthouse there on Fort Monroe, and a cute little house sitting alongside.

Gregg took this photo of Payton and I by that very same ledge. The ocean is right behind us, but for some reason, you cannot see it.

This was in the museum there, it is Jefferson Davis' pipe. Fort Monroe is where he was held during the civil war. The pipe is an eagle talon holding an egg, I thought it was quite unique. I did not get many photos inside the museum, it was very informative though.

Last but not least, I took this photo of Austin outside of one of one of the old gun batteries. I thought it turned out pretty good. I did a little selective coloring on this version in photoshop though.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteLooks like a fun trip!! We don't have the option of very many fun day trips around here. I love all the beautiful pictures you took.
ReplyDeleteYou all are so fortunate to be able to see such history in person. You kiddos may appreciate the memories more later though. Your pictures are excellent.
ReplyDeleteI am have to go back and clarify all the comments I made this morning. Apparently, my husband now has a blog ID (which I did not know) and I posted as him - Oh, well....
ReplyDelete