Friday, October 24, 2008

Flashback Friday: What A Spectacle

I got new eyeglasses yesterday and I thought this would make for an interesting FF post. The last time I got new glasses was in January of 2005. They have 2 *tiny* scratches on the lens, so they didn't really *need* replaced, but it was about time for a new pair.

I still really liked my old ones, but since I'm really lazy and don't like to go downstairs to get them at night out of my school tote, I thought a second pair would make sense. I actually went online to see if I could get a duplicate pair, but had no luck. My prescription got lighter (from -1.0 to -0.75) which was surprising since I only wear my glasses to watch TV upstairs, movies at the theater, drive at night and see what is written on the board in class so I can take notes.

These are my old glasses. I'm very particular when it comes to certain things, colors, cars, and furniture are some big ones. Now you can add glasses to that list. I don't like nose pieces or metal frames, so the selection isn't always the best in just plastic frames, but I did find a few pairs I liked.

I get attached to my favorite items and never want to give them up for anything, even an upgrade. I actually cried when I traded in my BMW and it wasn't because I was happy either. I was so sad to see "her" all alone on the car lot, pitiful I know. The photo above was taken in January 2006 while Gregg was on deployment. I would take random photos of myself to send to him via email while he was gone, this is one such photo.

Here I am with Austin and Payton the day I got those last glasses, in January 2005 while we were living in Norman. I'm still quite attached to them, I had the lenses swapped out so I can keep them upstairs and not have to go find my new ones in my bag.

Here I am with my new glasses. Gregg helped me pick them out. I'm glad he was there because I would have stayed there for hours trying on the same frames over and over - I probably would have never made a decision either. I know they look fairly boring in this photo, which was taken yesterday, but they are quite funky- especially for me. If you ask anyone who knows me even a little, they will tell you how boring I am when it comes to design, color and form. I don't like to make any sort of statement physically, so these quirky glasses were a stretch. Luckily you can't see how funky they are unless you get up close.

Here's a close-up. They are black on the outside with purple on the inside and a thin red stripe outlining their shape. They are by some European designer. Didn't I tell you they were funky?!

6 comments:

  1. I really like them!!! I am very sentimental when it comes to my stuff too, so I completely understand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really not that sentimental about stuff, but as I get older and my kids get older I am getting more so. Those glasses look really good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun glasses!! I like the new background too.

    The cutestblogontheblog website is great. I like to change up my blog frequently. For awhile now I have been trying to work on a banner. I downloaded some digital scrapbooking stuff and have been using photoshop, but it's so time consuming and I'm extremely busy with college, the baby, etc.. I'm sure you can understand how that goes!

    Hopefully soon I'll find a banner/background that I can live with long term... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you have to wear glasses, they need to be cool ones that you really like. Lucky for you, you look cute in your cool glasses!

    ReplyDelete